Curriculum to train as Certified TRE Provider
Download a pdf with all the curriculum and requirements information TRE Certification v24.pdf
Summary of Online Certification Requirements (from Nov 2022)
- Attend Three 2 Day Workshops: Trainee must attend three TRE training workshops, online or in-person: Module 1 (Personal TRE Process, 2 days), Module 2 (Teaching TRE to Individuals, 2 days) and Module 3 (Teaching TRE to Groups, 2 days). TRE for All, Inc requires regular TRE practice and supervision before attending Module 2 (there are also pre-requisites before Module 3).
- Complete the all Supervision and Assessments: After Module 1 you will be required to form a relationship with a TRE Mentor and make a learning plan for supervision. Two supervision sessions on teaching need to be with a Secondary Certification Trainer (N.B. new requirement from TRE for All, Inc Nov 2022). Supervision sessions and assessments are outlined below, extra sessions may be recommended by your TRE Mentor:
- 4 Personal 1 to 1 TRE Sessions: Learning about your own response to doing TRE in 1 to 1 sessions. The trainee needs to participate in a minimum of 4 personal sessions with a TRE Mentor.
- 4 Supervision Sessions on Teaching Individuals: Learning how to teach TRE to individuals. Before the final certification you will need to teach and record (usually video) working with at least 6 different clients. You will teach 4 new individual clients in single sessions. You will teach 2 individual clients over 3 sessions as case histories.
- 4 Supervision Sessions on Teaching Groups: Learning how to teach TRE to small groups. After Module 3 you will be supervised through the process of teaching TRE to small groups of between 3 to 8 people. You need to teach and record a minimum of 4 groups and get supervision on each group.
- 40 Hours of Journaling TRE Practice: Trainee needs to be doing their personal TRE with journaling. On completing the journal there may be requests for further journaling from your supervisor due to individual needs.
- Read, Watch and Write: The trainee needs to read the required literature and watch DVDs. Assessments are written work submitted to your TRE Mentor. As well as the journaling, there are written assessments on your understanding of elements of TRE theory. You will need to write up your personal TRE sessions and reflections on teaching individuals, case studies and teaching groups.
- Final Certification Session: The trainee must complete a final certification session the Primary Certification Trainer (Steve Haines for TRE College).
Summary of Online Certification Timings and Process Nov 2022
- Timings: The certification process is recommended to take between 12-15 months. TRE events attended prior to Module 1 do not contribute to the certification process. TRE for All, Inc requires 10 months minimum and 24 months maximum time to complete. If not complete in 24 months then the entire program needs to be retaken. Module 2 is recommended 2-4 months post Module 1, Module 3 is recommended 3-5 months post Module 2.
- TRE Mentor: Your relationship with your TRE Mentor is key. After Module 1 we recommend booking at least monthly supervision sessions and agreeing a learning plan with your TRE Mentor. The goal of the TRE training is that every TRE Certified Provider will be able to lead people safely through the TRE process. The completion of the above minimum requirements does not guarantee you will be certified as a Certified TRE Provider. Two supervision sessions on teaching need to be with a Secondary Certification Trainer. The learning process is self directed and needs organisation and motivation on the part of the TRE Trainee.
- Learning Plan: Prior to Module 2 and Module 3 we will ask you to review your learning plan with your TRE Mentor. If you have not completed the Pre Module 2 or Pre Module 3 minimum requirements we are likely to recommend you join a later Module. The personal process work and learning of teaching skills are a significant commitment. Supervision needs to be fully engaged with before moving on to teaching to individuals and groups.
- Extra Supervision: Supervision is an ongoing negotiation depending on your existing skills, your study progress and time taken to complete each stage. It is not unusual for more supervision sessions that the minimum outlined to be required as part of your learning plan. For people without an existing qualification as a therapist, teacher or trainer extra supervision will be required. If the gap between Modules is greater than recommended, or the total completion time is longer than 18 months, extra supervision will be required and/or Modules will need to be retaken. Typically we suggest groups of 4 extra supervisions sessions.
TRE Certification Elements: Supervision and Assessment Exact Requirements
Supervision: Covers contact with Mentor, records are entered by the Mentor and measured by 'Credits'. A minimum of 13 credits, inc Final Cert Session, to certify. There are a minimum of 4 supervisions on Personal Process, 4 on Teaching Individuals and 4 on Teaching Groups.
Assessment: Covers written submissions, records are entered by the Student and recorded as 'Complete'. A minimum of 18 completed assessments to certify. Assessments include 2 Journal Summaries, Pre M2 and Pre M3 Agreements, 4 Write Ups on Teaching Individuals, 2 Case Studies, 4 Write Ups on Teaching Groups and 4 Write Ups on TRE Concepts.
Table of Online Certification Expected Costs
The certification process is recommended between 12-15 months to train and costs about £2000-£2500. The main costs are 3 two day modules (approx £750 in total), minimum of 13 one-to-one supervision session (variable prices depending on video watching and Mentor fees, approx £1200 in total) plus books and registration fees. Note the possible need for extra supervision (typically groups of 4 sessions are required approx £300-350 in total).